Science is EvolvingHomeArticlesQ&AArchiveMediaLinksSearch

View topic - Motionless meditation

PsiPog.net Forum Index » Meditation and Trance » Motionless meditation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Motionless meditation
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:02 pm

MartialArtist

@Lucidess,

I think a little over two hours. Mostly I do two hours. But I do not practice this meditation very often. Well actually all the time, but not like sitting still like that. I practice while interacting with the world. I try to be in meditation and practice 24/7. Once you have done this multiple times and you feel you can recognise the mind and its desires and such, you are ready to train it in the interactive world. When we sit still, it is easier then when we have so many outside stimulants. I like the challenge. Besides, it saves me some time. But that doesn't mean that the sitting still excersice is less effective. It is more effective even. So please keep doing it.

But when I have the time, I am planning on doing a five hour one. Just for the chlallenge. You will notice that after two hours of sitting like that, you do not feel the need anymore to stand up. You are enjoying purely from within. You are swimming in your own self, without the mind disturbing that peace. You do not even want to leave meditation anymore, and you will notice that you are in fact still in meditation the rest of that day. Even while walking and talking. Its th?t effective Cool .

MA
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:31 pm

Lucidess

What if someone just stayed there? for all eternity! Twisted Evil
Wow, thats really interesting to hear that you've breached 2 hours =D
I'm starting to really regret only doing 30 minutes, because I do realize i was starting to enjoy it!
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:55 pm

Rahmid

Luciduss- Well in the story of buddha, he decided he would not move from this large tree untill he became inlightened, took days possibly weeks.

MA- Thats a super sweet meditation. True meditation. Just sitting, and being aware, or not thinking. NICE. I intered a meditation and made a shrine, for 6 hours. It was strange. I was like kidna out of my body, kinda like enduced high. Very strange. And that was when i found my name, Rahmid.

nice gotta make time fore more meditation, thanks!!

Rahmid
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:19 pm

somefatguy

Thank you MartialArtist, but I have one question that has nothing to do with any of this that I noticed.
While reading your responses, I noticed that some of your "A's" looked like this "th?t" as shown in "that." Do you see the little "?" with the accent mark, how and why did you do that?
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:19 pm

Lucidess

Today, i did 1 hour and 30 mins.. without noticing. I swallowed again T_T I need a towel. Does it still count when you can't control your body moving ie: muscle twitches, and very sudden jerks? I had a couple..
Two people tried to ask "nick do you know where the phone is? nick? you asleep?" I was laughing in my head.

There were times where i was about to stop, then suddenly I said "no! don't give up! just a little longer!".. and procrastination grew.
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:15 am

MartialArtist

@somefatguy:

If I use th?t, I am just gicing it a little more power. I could have also used that, instead of th?t. Nothing more Smile.

@ Lucidess,

You don't have to be that hard on yourself, if you swallow, just swallow. It doesnt mean you have to start all over again, or that all progress is gone. Just be determined and willing to make it. But don't be cruel on your body. As I said, swallowing is an automatic process. It is much subtler and has less to do with what the mind demands. The mind wants you to move your fingers and body, it desires that. But it is not so focussed at demanding you to swallow. As for the body muscles twitching, this is natural and might happen from time to time. Don't feel dissapointed. Just try not to move your body as much as you can. But don't feel down when you move a muscle. Just sit still again afterwards.

Quote:
Two people tried to ask "nick do you know where the phone is? nick? you asleep?" I was laughing in my head.

Quote:
Today, i did 1 hour and 30 mins.. without noticing.

See what you've managed so far.
Be proud. it will go more natural every time you do this.

MA
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:01 am

Lucidess

Oh ok, thanks for that.. So I don't need a towel afterall ^__^ I think the swallowing ticked me off the most, so I believe I can do much much better next time. I didn't feel that bad when my muscles moved or anything, but I fealt a dramatic change when i moved one thing, and i had to regain it... I'll try on a weekend next time. This time I hope to go for 3 hours, or something.
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:31 am

somefatguy

I tried it last night! I only made it to 15 minutes because of my cat. She came in and started "talking." It's hard to explain but my cat can kind of talk using tones. And if you know tones you can understand her. She kind of "grunts" but she is female so it is in a little nice and funny tone. She was wondering what I was doing on the floor not moving...and started nudging me so I had to stop...because she would of been there for a long time. And then I went to bed and thought I might as well try it there too, and I eventually fell asleep. Tonight I want to try a different position. What position do you guys meditate in?
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:40 am

MartialArtist

Haha, funny,

Next time when your cat comes, just stay still. It always goes like that, the mind tests us the moment we make a vow. We say: I am not going to move for the next 30 minutes, and whoppa, there's the cat testing you.

Nonetheless, nice that you did it Smile. As for the posture, I meditate in a lotus posture, but that's quite hard to do and uncomfortable for your legs if you are not used to it. Just take a posture that feels most comfortable.

MA
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:53 am

somefatguy

MartialArtist wrote:
Haha, funny,

Next time when your cat comes, just stay still. It always goes like that, the mind tests us the moment we make a vow. We say: I am not going to move for the next 30 minutes, and whoppa, there's the cat testing you.

Nonetheless, nice that you did it Smile. As for the posture, I meditate in a lotus posture, but that's quite hard to do and uncomfortable for your legs if you are not used to it. Just take a posture that feels most comfortable.

MA

I don't know what lotus position is...but if you say it is hard then I probably won't do it. The cat was testing me? She just wanders around doing strange things...but yeah, I should of just stayed still, I am just not sure if she would just keep on talking to me though. I think tonight I might try cross-legged or laying on my belly (but I might fall asleep)
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:10 am

Lucidess

= Lotus.. you don't need to put your arms like that though. Keep at it somefatguy!
I tend to just sit in a couch, i should sit in my recliner next time.. or what would really be funny, in my school. Just sit square in the middle of the hallway and people will be all like, wtf he is just sitting there totally motionless, is he dead? sleeping?
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:28 am

MartialArtist

@SomeFatGuy:

I wouldn't recommend to do this meditation on your belly. Do it laying down, or preferably in a sitting posture. Why? because if you lie on your belly, your whole body moves up and down when you breath. You won't experience the stillness as much. Sitting posture has my preference. But you can do it while lying on your back. It's just that you have more chance of getting tired and losing consciousness. Sitting straight up brings you in a state of alertness. Though comfort has got to count for something as well. So just suit it yourself Razz
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:43 am

abuelos84

question: isn't the simple "cross-legged" (how do you spell that?) position called "half-lotus" or something?
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:37 pm

psi_manipulator_3000

About the problem with the drooling lucidess... if you clear your mouth of all saliva, really swallow hard to make it dry and then press your tongue on the roof of your mouth really hard and it should stop your mouth producing saliva. Works for me. Unless your mouth naturally produces more saliva than mine. If that doesn't work than try finding a "position" in your mouth that stops it producing saliva. Sometimes i can find that "position". It varies though, but usually to do with what you do with your tongue and how you position it.
Posted on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:13 pm

MartialArtist

abuelos84 wrote:
question: isn't the simple "cross-legged" (how do you spell that?) position called "half-lotus" or something?

That is correct. That one I also use alot. I think, after the full lotus, the half lotus is the most effective posture. It is more comfortable and easier to do in the beginning also. It keeps your spine alittle more straight and aligned than most postures. The full lotus is best for keeping the body straight and alert though. But I would recommend people to try half-lotus when doing this meditation. It is easy to maintain also.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

PsiPog.net Forum Index » Meditation and Trance » Motionless meditation