Science is EvolvingHomeArticlesQ&AArchiveMediaLinksSearch

View topic - Motionless meditation

PsiPog.net Forum Index » Meditation and Trance » Motionless meditation

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Motionless meditation
Motionless meditation on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:16 am

MartialArtist

Greetings,

The following meditation is for those who would like to gain more control over their minds. It is a somewhat advanced meditation since it may not be very comfortable or relaxing in the beginning. Also the time we spend in meditation ir over average. I can write a very long in depth post about this meditation, but I don't think that would be the right thing to do now, so if you have further questions of the mechanism behind it or want some more in-depth information or tips, ask.

Motionless meditation

The idea behind this meditation is to gain mastery over the mind. As you know the mind always leads you to places and make you do things by creating a desire. The mind is most of the time not content and not in peace with the here and now, therfore it creates a desire, for example; "I should get something to eat now." Offcourse your body is not really hungry most times, the mind just wants to flee from it's current situation. It is not purified enough to make it tranquil and at peace with the present moment. Unfortunately, we have identified ourselfs so much with the mind, that we are now fully dependent on it, and we believe that every though, and every desire, belongs to who we are. Instead, it is just the impure mind. If you can recognise this, then you already have much more control over your mind. But still.. these desires are so strong that we can hardly say no to them. This meditation aims at giving you stronger will power to be in control of the mind. We are taming it. So what to do:

+Go and sit in a comfortable posture. It must be a posture that you can hold for a long time without any movement. Perhaps you would like some stretching before you begin. Whatever feels good.

+Set a time limit between 1 hour and...as long as you wish. But decide a time before you start, and then set your stopwatch or timer on that time.

+Don't move, don't scratch, don't even wink nor move your tiny toe.

What's the point in that? Well a Tantric Yogi Master once said: "Just sit quietly for three hours in a row without moving, without even winking, then everything will be accomplished easily." Now why would that be? Because if you sit quietly for that long, and you stay focussed and conscious while meditating, you will automatically become aware of the demands of the mind. The desires it throws at you. It will recieve outside stimulants, it will react to that by creating a desire, so that you complete the demanded reaction. For example the mind will percieve a tingling sensation in your feet, accordingly it will try to make you move the feet. Or it will smell some nice food and create a feeling of hunger and it will demand you with its desire to get some food. But remember, the mind can never complete this process without the body. It needs the body to go and do something somewhere. So if you control your body by not moving for a long period of time, eventually the mind will just have to obey you. It will become quiet and you will be master again.

It is a very nice experience and to me this is a short-cut to mastery over the mind. It is very effective. Just sit down, don't move, and let your attention become aware of all the thoughts and desires your mind throws at you. The moment you feel you are getting a desire, try to realise what outside stimulants created that feeling, and what your mind tries to make you do. If you watch this process, you are not your mind anymore and the identification with it will gradually dissolve. And you will experience directly more control over your mind, it's desires and the things you do. Afterwards you will feel stability in a flexible way.

MA

ps. Remember the mind will also trick you in stopping before the end of the time, which you decided earlier. Don't give in, because then the mind is your master, instead of you being his master. Don't move, stay motionless in posture. And sit out the time you have decided. What you've decided, you must finish, That's the most crucial element of this meditation.
cool! on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:43 pm

abuelos84

hey, great tecnique!
I'm gonna try it, no doubt, even though i know myself as a very lazy person and having a very weak "will" for this kind of things, i suppose this meditation will help me with that and, boy, i need to build up some "will strenght" if i want to succeed at anything (like psionics)
So i thank you a lot for this, man!

Question: the minimal period of time is always 1 hour? because i don't think i'll be able to stay THAT long, maybe 10 min. at most Wink , heh...
bye
drakus
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:15 am

MartialArtist

Hello,

Well the drastic changes and results will only be experienced after more than an hour. That doesn't mean 15 minutes of motionless meditation doesn't help you, but the longer the more control you will gain. Try 15 minutes, set your timer, and dont move anything except your breathing for 15 minutes. Don't give in before that time. You have to finish the decided time. That's important.

MA
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:21 am

Lucidess

It's time to rebel against the mind and it's pushy ways! I will not be a slave to serving anymore XD ya hear that brain? "i'm gonna make you by slave!".
Seriously, that's a really awesome idea, and i'm going to try that out.. perhaps right now for an hour and see how long i can go for.
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:29 am

MartialArtist

hey,

Ok good, try it, but, you said:

Quote:
perhaps right now for an hour and see how long i can go for.

Again, be carefull. It really is the point here that you set a time limit before you begin, and don't change that anymore once you started. Even when the mind is complaining and wining alot. Just sit out the time you have decided, and be confident and determined about that. If the mind sees you are so determined that he knows there is no way he can get you to stand up before the end of your timer, then it will give up and lay down quietly next to you like a dog waiting for orders.

Just make sure you pick one time, and be determined to make it. Decide now in 100% honesty to yourself: I am not going to move for this entire hour, no matter what happens.

Then you will gain lots of mastery over your mind in no-time Smile

MA

ps. If you think theres no way you can make an hour now, make it shorter, but do decide one time and stick to that no matter what.
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:01 am

Lucidess

well i did a warm up round (5 minutes). I blinked twice, and swallowed once, because if i didn't swallow i would choke on it :\ Someone asked me a question, and i asked it after the 5 minutes was over.. so i'm gonna start in my room this time, right now. Cya in a hour hopefully!
Ok, when i left, i realized through about 30 minutes.. wow, this is incredible! And then.. crap. WHY DID I STOP?!? I drew the line at 30 minutes.. just for starters.. next time i will do 45 mins, and 15 more minutes so on. I will keep adding 15 more minutes. DO TRY THIS! IT'S AWESOME!
Heres a tip: If you're going to get comfortable, odds are you might swallow, which means you lose Smile so.. as weird as it sounds, drool. I drooled all over my pants, but I didn't swallow, I didn't do anything.
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 am

pyro

Thats my problem with motionless meditation, I either need to swallow or scratch an itch, and the longer I don't scratch it the more the itch intensifies, but my quesstion is how you could possibly not blink for an hour? I mean come on your eyes blink for a reason, or are you allowed to let them blink themselves, but just not control a blink? Im confused...
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:27 am

ThirdEye

Just close your eyes?
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:25 am

abuelos84

ThirdEye wrote:
Just close your eyes?

hehe, nice... Smile
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:45 am

MartialArtist

Yes you can close your eyes. But it is possible to not blink for hours. When you are in deep meditation and focussed on a particular object, you will notice you will automatically stop blinking. But that goes only if you manage to meditate on one object the whole time in a row.

Same goes for breathing. Have you ever had a situation in which you were so focussed, for example while reading a book, that you "forgot" to breath? You suddenly noticed you had not taken a breath for perhaps 40 seconds or so, maybe even longer. That happens when you are in deep concentration (meditation). It is claimed by many Swami's and Yogi's that you don't have to breath for hours if you are in Samadhi (deepest form of concentration). They say that is because when the mind is active and scattered, it needs alot of prana to function, or psi in it's fundamental form if you prefer that. So if you don't use the mind, nor using the body, instead you enter samadhi and transcend body/mind consciousness, then the mind and body don't need that prana so you don't need to breath. I have never done this before, so Cannot tell you for sure, but I'm positive it works like this.

But back on topic: Yes you may close your eyes Smile.

And Lucidess: Congrats on your mastery over the mind. Your doing good Smile.

And also, swallowing is less important than scratching. Scratching you must not give into. Swallowing is same as blinking. It is an automatic process and takes deeper concentration in order to stop. So you don't have to suppress your swallowing. Just remain centered and conscious, and eventually your mouth will stop producing saliva so you don't have to swallow. Just don't move any limbs, but be kind to the automatic processes. Sure try not to blink, but blinking and swallwoing are bodily processes that will stop automatically once you are in real meditation. Or you could drool yes, nice idea, your a creative person. Razz

MA
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:49 am

pyro

Oh ok, this should be easier then I thought, im gonna try this in a few minutes, the only problem is that I stayed up all night so I might end up falling asleep trying to it XD. Although maybe that could be a way of lucid dreaming...
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:01 am

somefatguy

So we have to be sitting? And we can't think about anything either?
I am up for the challenge, I will try it tonight before I go to bed, I need to find my stopwatch though Wink
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:41 am

Lucidess

G'morning everyone.
When you start to feel any itching you can't handle or whatever, say in your head "don't give in". Say it over and over XD
For me, I get weird cramps, like in my neck. I have to tense some weird muscles in my neck because if i don't, it irritates me alot. Same with my sides.. (this happens all the time) Rolling Eyes
I sat on my bed, leaning over with my mouth open.. drooool. I should use a towel. My eyes weren't totally closed, they were half shut and that worked really well. My hands were going all nonexistant on me then my legs, my shoulders, chest.. head.. after i got out of it... I can't even describe what it fealt like after that.
Thanks so much for showing me this MartialArtist XD I believe i can do 45 minutes next time. Question, should this be a daily thing? to show that your brain is under your command only?
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:23 pm

MartialArtist

@Lucidess

About the body falling away, I didnt mention that, but yes gradually if you stay motionless, you will feel your hands no more. It is very weird, and it makes you want to move them to check if they are still there. Then follows the arms and then the rest of the body. Then wehn your entire body is like that, energy will start to move and circulate through your body. Energy centers will start to revolve and you will experience bliss. At least that's how it went with me. And it seems Lucidess is starting to experience some of that as well.

Quote:
Question, should this be a daily thing? to show that your brain is under your command only?

It is not nessecary to do it everyday. Offcourse it will benefit you immensively, but once you manage to do this for a couple of hours, you will have gained mastery over the mind to such a degree that it benefits you for like a week or longer. But of course if you can, do it every day. I am pleased to hear it works so well for you. But within a short period of time, you will gain mastery that is continues. You will be in control of your mind even while interacting with the world.

@Somefatguy,

You don't have to do this sitting down. You can do it lying down, or standing as well. No matter where you are, you always feel slightly restless somehow. Sometimes it is obvious and you are stressed or bored or restless to such a degree that you notice it directly. Sometimes, you have to dig deep, and you will see that your mind want to do something. It wants to go somewhere or to someone to have a chat and flee from the silence. So this meditation can be done also while being somewhere, even if there are people around. And it helps if you are standing still yes, but you can also practice this without standing still. Just remain conscious of your desires, and realise that it is the mind which is not used to being still and peacefull. It always looks for diversion. As soon as you realise that it is your mind, and not you (the observer) who creates those desires, then you are not bound to it anymore. You can just say to your mind: "No, I will stay here peacefully. You really think that if I take my body somewhere else that we are happier or that there is more satisfaction there? You are my friend but you have to realise that the outside world remains exactly the same even if I move to some other place or talk to some other people. I will stay here in peace with myself. And you will be quiet and experience that with me."

Quote:
So we have to be sitting? And we can't think about anything either?

Well there are different levels of the mind ofcourse. Subtle and gross. Which is easier to control, the gross or the subtle? Which is easier to grasp: Gass, liquid or solid? The gross yes. The solid. The movement of the body is the grosser level, and if we master that, then we have tamed the mind. Though even if it cannot move the body, there are subtler levels, like thought and emotions. So yes you could try to remain conscious and presently aware th?t much that you do not even have thoughts. Then you are a true master. But that is the next step. First focus on the desires your mind creates to move your body in order to do something else. Witness this first. Don't payy to much attention to not thinking. Just let the mind do it's thinking, but observe it. Then you'll know where the desires are coming from. Just talk to your mind. Make it see how ridiculous it is to be restless all the time. And bring back and center your focus to the here and now from time to time while doing this. Then the mind will again take you and create thoughts and desires. Just witness them again, and remain confident towards your mind that you are not moving, and bring back your consciousness to the here and now. Center your focus again.

But if you do the meditation with which I started this thread, you will gain mastery over the subtler aspects of the mind also. Because eventually the mind will become quiet automatically if you master the body. You do not have to force thoughts to stop. Just control the mind through the gross level, and the subtle will obey you automatically.

Sorry for the long answer.
MA
Posted on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:56 pm

Lucidess

Whats your longest time martialartist?

I might be doing another one today.. since I have nothing to do for about 3 hours.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

PsiPog.net Forum Index » Meditation and Trance » Motionless meditation