Science is EvolvingHomeArticlesQ&AArchiveMediaLinksSearch

View topic - Motionless meditation

PsiPog.net Forum Index » Meditation and Trance » Motionless meditation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Motionless meditation
Posted on Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:00 am

MartialArtist

Quote:
I had a thought though.. what if you tried to find a place with alot of distractions, for example, sitting infront of a school, or on the sidewalk, or something. A more distracting environment would show further mastery over the mind right?

Well if your ego can handle the public scenery of you sitting in front of the school meditating, then yes it will be very powerfull. You will then gain more mastery over the ego and mind.
Posted on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:00 am

psi_manipulator_3000

Lo. Sitting outside a school or on a sidewalk with people talking to you and calling you strange would really kill your dignity.

@MA: Not that I know of. The only person I could think of is my great grandmother who died years ago before I could remember her. There's always the possiblity that it could have been my mind playing tricks on me. Although at one point I could have sworn that I saw my shirt crease out of the corner of my eye when I felt that thing sit on me. When that happened I opened my eyes cus I thought there was someone there.
Posted on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:22 pm

MartialArtist

I see ok. Well never mind it then, just remain present and conscious when those things happen. Maybe you can find out what is causing those ackward experiences. But just let them be and keep focussing inward.
Posted on Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:35 pm

MartialArtist

Let me give some more structural in-depth-info on how the mind works, as I see it, so you can recognise it's process clearer when in meditation (or not).

The mind has four main functions:
1: Percieving
2: Discriminating
3: Identifying
4: (Re-)acting

1: Percieving:
In this first part of the proces, the mind gets certain stimulants from the outside world (outside world includes the body). Mostly it percieves stimulants through the senses of the body, but some times the thoughts that your mind has created, can itself become the percieved stimulant in the proces. Then the mind reacts to it's own created thoughts. But let's focus mainly on the stimulants percieved by the senses of the body. So you must think of: Smells, sounds, sightings, feelings/sensations, tastes etc. After the mind percieves certain stimulants, the stimulants go through the next proces:

2: Discriminating:

So the stimulant(s) get percieved by the mind, accordingly the mind will try to recognise the stimulant and label it. This is the process of discrimination. The mind discriminates the incoming stimulant by putting it into an already familiar box. It interpretates the stimulant according to it's previous experience. So for example you percieve a smell coming from the Burger King, immediately the mind labels it as: "Fries", or "Burger." Also keep in mind that it does not only discriminates in the way of recognising a certain stimulant, but it also adds a judgement to it. For example: Good smell or bad smell; pleasant or not-pleasant etc. This is the point where all the dualities are created. All the illusions and confusion start here, in the mind. There is nothing wrong or bad about the world outside of us, that's just the label our mind gives the percieved stimulants. Know this, and take responsibility for the way you interpretate a certain situation. Don't blame the world, for there is nothing wrong with the world nor with the situation. It is the mental attitude towards that situation that makes a certain situation nice or not nice. Therefore, if you master your mind, you master the world. Once you master your mind and you decide: "I will stay happy and content no matter what happens", no outside stimulants can ever make us worry or feel bad. So don't try to change the world, change your mind instead. If you have a red lens on your retina, it doesn't matter how much you scrub the outside world, you will still see it as red. Instead get rid of the coloring lens on your retina, and you will see the world differently. That's what I think Gandhi meant to say with: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Ok so now that you know how the discrimination proces goes, we continue to follow the stimulant as it enters the next section of your mind:

3: Identifying (ego):
After the mind has labelled and judged the stimulant, it continues to the ego which will in one way or another relate/identify itself with the stimulant. To continue the example of the fries: Your mind percieves the smell of the fries; It discriminates the smell as pleasant; accordingly the ego will jump in and decide: "I should get some of those fries." Now the stimulant has become personalized. Now you won't experience peace anymore untill you get some of those fries(or detach yourself from the mind). Realise however that this is a misidentification. You, as you already know, are not the ego, you are the witness which observes the thoughts and the smell. The silent observer. Consciousness. So keep in mind that it is only the mind that creates this feeling of need towards those fries. You are just witnessing the process, even though we cannot often see and experience that clearly because the mind keeps dragging us into the illusions like these. If you can discriminate between your true self and the mind, it will automatically become more easy to deny the wants of the mind and to control it.

Now that your ego has identified itself with the outside stimulant, the mind wants to take some action:

4: (Re-)action:
So now the mind needs the body most of the times to take action and fulfill it's recent created desire. It now wants to act through the body and the bodily senses to get what it wants. This is why motionless meditation is so usefull, because you are not allowing your mind to complete it's proces. Therefore the wheel of this process will eventually stop. As soon as you sit entirely still, dedicated to your vow, the hand will stop spinning the wheel of the mind's process. The wheel still has some momentum, therfore it takes some time to make it quiet and obey you, but the hand that kept spinning the wheel has stopped spinning it. Once the wheel is stopped, you can finally experience the peace within, without the mind bothering you in thinking you need to get some outside things in order to be satisfied. Instead of being satisfied for just a little moment, you will be fully content for a much longer period of time (depending on you and your mind).

These few steps happen so rapidly after each other that it is hard to distinguish the individual steps in the process. I hope this will help you in recognising the minds structure and how it creates desires that try to lead you away from the here and now. In the here and now, there is ultimate peace, without disturbance. But the mind can't see that. You have to make him see that. If not you, who will?

Goodluck,
MA
Posted on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:12 pm

Rahmid

New best freind.

*huggle*

Thank you, i have such a hard time telling ppl how to take control of thier lives. That put it obviously(makes you go "oh yeah") and inspiring.

Rahmid
Posted on Mon May 01, 2006 3:46 pm

MartialArtist

Quote:
Thank you, i have such a hard time telling ppl how to take control of thier lives. That put it obviously(makes you go "oh yeah") and inspiring.

Thank you.

As for:
Quote:
i have such a hard time telling ppl how to take control of thier lives.

That means you are trying to tell them how to. That's a very important thing if you ask me. Sharing, helping, being selfless where possible. You will be able to put it in words better for the people around you everytime you talk about it. I hope you can enlighten alot of people. Albeit just for a moment.

Greetings,
MA
Posted on Mon May 01, 2006 3:53 pm

Rahmid

Thanks!

I'm becoming a psychologist so i'll have lots of practice.

Very true, most ppl just need that show of affection to be bumped into right thinking.

Rahmid
Posted on Mon May 01, 2006 8:17 pm

Lucidess

This could be me, or my mind, but lately my mind is trying to make me forget memories of motionless meditation. It's pretty scary. It makes me procrastinate. Everytime I think about it, my mind just shuts off everything about it. Is it trying to control me? or am I just lazy?
Posted on Mon May 01, 2006 10:11 pm

somefatguy

Lucidess wrote:
This could be me, or my mind, but lately my mind is trying to make me forget memories of motionless meditation. It's pretty scary. It makes me procrastinate. Everytime I think about it, my mind just shuts off everything about it. Is it trying to control me? or am I just lazy?

Mine is doing the opposite...last night I was very tired so I didn't want to meditate and my eyes needed resting (literally, I was swimming all day and there was a lot of Chlorine in the water) and I got into bed and I couldn't sleep, I just wanted to meditate really bad. But I didn't give in...I am going to go for 2 hours tonight though! Wish me luck and skill Smile
"But Somefatguy, you can't wish skill." Aha skinny people, but can you wish luck? Question
Posted on Mon May 01, 2006 11:34 pm

Lucidess

I think my mind is afraid of me Smile
Good luck somefatguy XD
Posted on Tue May 02, 2006 5:21 am

MartialArtist

The fear of the mind can express itself in many ways. try to recognise it.
Posted on Tue May 02, 2006 8:50 am

Lucidess

I've reconized mine, and it targets my memories, and threatens to erase them. The bastard.
Posted on Tue May 02, 2006 11:36 am

psi_manipulator_3000

lol. It threatens, but can it actually do it?
Posted on Tue May 02, 2006 11:56 am

Lucidess

It has actually erased memories, but one day I did a sneak attack on it and said I WILL DO IT RIGHT NOW. Then I did. It was mad.
Posted on Tue May 02, 2006 11:13 pm

ARandomKid

Lucidess wrote:
It has actually erased memories, but one day I did a sneak attack on it and said I WILL DO IT RIGHT NOW. Then I did. It was mad.

Laughing I imagine it would be.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

PsiPog.net Forum Index » Meditation and Trance » Motionless meditation